The reformed church

The reformed church of Gornești was built in the 15th century (1456) in Gothic style. Initially it served as a roman-catholic church, but later – with the conversion of the community to Protestantism, it became protestant. Throughout the centuries it was renovated several times, the greatest transformations took place in the 19th century. The steeple of the church with four pinnacles dates back to 1797, and the church organ to 1854. In the sacristy of the church there is the sarcophagus of count Teleki Mihály and the family’s coat of arms carved in marble. Under the sacristy there is a crypt of about 6 meters deep. In 1913 the surface of the nave was enlarged on the north-eastern side with the width of a room. In the northern wall there are two ogival openings, and they built in two pillars in the walls in order to support the weight. The ceiling of this annex was realized in a manner that the gothic effect of the church is not affected. The corridor of the sanctuary was built by count Teleki József, it was then, that they renovated the roof of the church and the ceiling as well.